Has your partner been offered a great job away from home and are you considering your options for when you join in with this adventure? Not an easy choice when you need to quit your own job or when leaving family and friends behind.
There will be hurdles to jump and uncertainties to deal with!
Amongst others, uncertainty about:
- employment opportunities for you with your specific skills, knowledge and experience;
- acceptance of your qualifications
- permission to work or work permit availability
- potential language barrier
- … you fill in the gap!
However, it doesn’t need to be all bad! Thanks to globalization, increased mobility and self-employment opportunities, more and more people turn into global nomads, following their love for adventure and travel, living the life of their choice while all the time carrying along a career in their suitcase / portable career!
A portable career is work that comes with you wherever you go and it’s a job based on your passion, vision and your unique personal skills and values. Start creating ideas of what you could do, by drawing a full picture what you have to offer.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What makes me fundamentally me?
- What do I love to do / what am I passionate about?
- What would I do, if I could do anything I wanted?
- What skills do I enjoy using on a day to day level?
- What talents and professional experience do I have to support me in turning my passion into a suitcase career?
- What role would the portable career have in my life and what would be the impact on the quality of my life?
You will be able to expand on your vision after reflecting on your answers, and discovering the common denominators!
The vision you have created has now gotten you one step closer to defining and designing your personal portable career!